Monday, July 19, 2010

Sugar and Me.

Sugar and I have always had a good relationship. I don't eat a lot of it. I respect that sugar is delicious, but that if I eat too much of it there are consequences. Recently, my definition of "too much" has changed. Not because I have changed my mind about how much I think is alright, but because my body now fails to process it.

Plain and simple. If I eat too much sugar, I feel it. In the past, I could have a sweet tea with lunch and be fine. I can't do that now. I thought that it was just being pregnant when it started happening about a month ago. Sometimes, I would have desert with lunch and on those days I felt miserable. I had no idea I would be diagnosed with gestational diabetes. If my sugar gets too high I feel heavy, very tired, and I can't think clearly. I feel like I am breathing through mud.

To a certain extent, putting a name on these feeling has empowered me to feel better. If I make the right choices, I feel fine.

Another thing that has been helpful is monitoring my blood sugar. I get my supplies today, but we had extras around the house so I started this weekend. I will now have to check my sugar four times a day. I thought it would bother me, but literally after the second time I was fine.  I don't enjoy it, but I don't dread it. When I check about an hour after I eat I can see if the food I ate was something I should eat again or not.

I never really thought about it, but milk has carbs in it. (Whole milk has 12g in a 1 cup serving.) My husband has been drawing carbs to my attention constantly. At first, I was annoyed and it was hurtful, but I really think he's attempting to make me aware. If I have one pint of milk and a Twix bar that's over 50g of carbs. (When I say Twix bar, I mean if I eat both of the bars in the package.) That's more than I eat in most meals.

I still have no plans to count carbs, but I do think it's currently important to be aware of them.

It's now time to head to the Doctor for my regularly scheduled exam. I leave you with this. Please replace the word lover with sugar. It fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment