Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Seriously?

Today, I took and failed my second Gestational Diabetes test. I have officially been diagnosed as having Gestational Diabetes. I'm not terribly worried about it because it's totally manageable and I'll only have it until our son is born a few months from now.

Sadia and I were discussing whether is was too soon to blame things on my blood sugar, since I had just tripped and nearly flung myself across the office. We were just joking around, but then she joked that my husband gave me Diabetes. I laughed, but the mail person who was standing there looked at me, in all seriousness, and said that it was totally possible. His face was so serious. I stood there for a moment, mouth agape, and realized he wasn't joking. I laughed and gently told him that it's not contagious.

It really reminded me of all the misconceptions people have. Not just about medical issues, but about the world at large. (For instance, I know people who honestly believe you can get AIDS from a toilet seat or living with a gay person.)

No comments:

Post a Comment