Friday, December 4, 2009

Let's Talk about Dating.

It is no secret that I recently became single. It is also no secret that I am not fond of dating. I am a very happy person and I am fine with a boyfriend or without. Having a boyfriend has obvious perks, but I can be alone without too much trouble.

Dating has showed up like that long lost frenemy that you thought you were free of once and for all. Now, she wants to be friends again and I'm not completely sure I am ready.

Dating seems to work like this in most cases (for me):

  • Select person (or be selected by a person.)
  • Attempt to have intelligent conversation.
  • If successful during the intelligent conversation stage progress to the "Planning an actual date" stage.
  • Completely freak out about what to wear on the date. (AKA the "Suddenly, dressing like a 12 year old boy doesn't sound like such a good idea" stage.)
  • Enlist the help of real girls to make sure I look alright.
  • Arrive at date.
  • Revisit the "Attempt to have intelligent conversation" stage.
  • If successful and the intelligent conversation is enjoyable proceed with further dates.
This basically continuues on until you decided to commit to each other or you decide the other person is not for you (or in the words of my girlfriends "a total loser." I'll be honest, I have dated a lot of what my friends consider total losers. Some folks would say that I look for them. I'd like to think that my last boyfriend broke that cycle since he was gainfully employed, living on his own, and the proud parent of one really smart dog.)

The next blog will be an exploration of step one - person selection. Sit back and relax. You're cheaper than a therapist.

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious and so true.

    You forgot "silently assess potential baggage" while attempting to have intelligent conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did we go wrong???

    ReplyDelete