Thursday, October 15, 2009

A night at the movies with Zombieland!

Last Monday, Cameron and I went to see Zombieland. We headed over to the AMC Tri City 8. We watch all of our movies together there because they are $4.00 on week days and on weekends before noon. We're not cheap, we're broke.

Cameron revealed that he was shocked to see the Sherlock Holmes movie posters. He didn't know it was being made and he had no idea that Robert Downey Jr. was playing Sherlock Holmes. He seemed to be intrigued and declared that we would see it. (Robert Downey Jr. is in it. I am seeing it for darn sure. You know, to um... support reformed actors in the arts.)
We also saw posters for The Vampire's Apprentice. Neither of us knew what it was about, but we put it on our tentative lists of movies we want to watch. If you are interested you can view the trailer here. (Looks kind of cool. Is this a kids movie?)

The last poster that Cam and I saw got my heart pounding. It was for Where the Wild Things are. It looks amazing. My kids are excited. I am excited. Just view the trailer here. It's just amazing.

We walked into the theater and we were slightly surprised to see that it was over half full. Cam and I saw The Proposal here and we were two of the four people in the place. Granted, Zombieland has a broader appeal (and I felt that The Proposal was kind of a disappointment.)

Cameron took so long making me frozen Stauffer's lasagna and smoking cigarettes that by the time we got there we had almost completely missed the two year old movie quizzes and reminders that soda and popcorn were in the lobby. The theater went dark about 3 minutes after we found our seats.

The trailers that played were:

V (A new series on ABC. Looks awesome. It stars Morena Baccarin Who played Inara on Firefly.)

• Saw VI (Completely unnecessary trash. Cam and I are skipping this and all other Saw films.)

Year One (Will be renting ASAP.)

2012 (I adore John Cusack. It's a film about the world ending in 2012. It looks interesting.)

New Moon. (The second Twilight film. I'm furious. I was avoiding this like the plague. I want to see it now AND it comes out on my birthday.)

• Nightmare on Elm Street. (No. Just no.)

Finally, the movie began. The premise is that the world has been infected with a plague related to Mad Cow Disease that turns you into a zombie. This movie starts out with a young man played by Jesse Eisenberg telling us about how he survives. He has a list of rules that he lives by and when he tells you about them they have a tendency to pop up on the screen. (This is actually very funny. I have a tendency to walk up to people in my office and say "Double Tap." Hilarity almost always ensues.)

The other main character in the film is a bad ass played by Woody Harrelson. (I find him to be really sexy, but I can't really figure out why. It's got to be that accent.) He's not crazy about connecting emotionally and he doesn't want to know your name. Call him Tallahassee, because that's where he's headed.

The film goes on to tell us their story and it's seriously funny. The film also stars Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin with a cameo by the mega-awesome Bill Murray. I'm not telling you more because you need to go and see this.

I just have one question. WHY are zombies forever throwing up blood? It's really gross. Cameron says that I just don't get it and that it is, in fact, necessary. I'll take his word for it.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why zombies are so huge right now, but they are -- I can't wait to see this one btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this movie was hilarious! I never dreamed I would like it. A movie about zombies....c'mon. A date drug me to it and I figured I'd suffer through it, but it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @SFL - It was much better than I thought it would be. Stay past the credits! There is a surprise after them.

    @Amber - You know, I love Sci-Fi, but Zombies have always seemed kind of silly. I LOVED Shawn of the Dead, but I this was obviously more gory. I liked it despite the gore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cam was lying. Smoking cigarrettes and eating stouffers frozen lasagna makes zombies throw up blood

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Stolidogue - I'm totally going to have to agree with you there.

    ReplyDelete